Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Mural: culture is a weapon

Photographing this mural took some gymnastics because it is behind fencing on all sides.  A lot of the murals in Oakland reference cultural pride by marginalized groups.  Here we see symbols of Latino and African-American cultures both past and present.  This mural is off the traffic corridors and peeked out at me while I was driving down E. 12th Street.

Welcome to Monday Mural:  if you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme's for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  You get to decide what constitutes a mural.  Once you start looking, you find them everywhere.  Be sure to link back to this blog and to visit your fellow posters.  Looking forward to the mural finds posted this week.

14 comments:

  1. Good find and capture in bad conditions


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing what they can do with cans of spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The level of detail is incredible. I like the way colour has been used to identify and separate the different portions of this mural

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mural looks so fresh and colourful. The purple streak adds more substance to it.
    PS: It's so true about having gymnastic skills to photography a mural. Sometimes I've been down a narrow lane way with my back to wall trying to squeeze a mural into one frame. It's a better workout than going to the gym. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous - love the way the colours have been separated.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fabulous detail in this one ODP, well done for getting such a good shot in difficult circumstances.. I must look out for more murals around Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The purplish part in the foreground is my favourite. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like murals like these! It's interesting to see what's important to different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sympathize with you and the fencing. It does make life a tad more difficult, but at least they are preserved just a little be longer that way. I like your explanation of "culture pride by marginalized groups" I hadn't thought about that and yet you are so right. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's too bad there are so many marginalized groups. Maybe it will change one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the fields of color in this mural. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fencing? I can't see any fencing! :-) I love to see the various cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can also learn a few things from you Oakland Daily Photo, great idea about the Monday Murals.

    ReplyDelete