Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ABC Wednesday: Z is for zany

I read on Streetcolor's blog that she had yarnbombed an Oakland Library.  Naturally I ran down to get a picture of it before it was taken down.  Check out her blog for other efforts.  Yarnbombing is such a whimsical and zany activity, that it's hard to imagine that folks would take exception to it.  But it happens.  Last year another group yarnbombed the T in the There sculpture on the Oakland-Berkeley line.  City officials initially protested and then backed off, probably realizing they came across as stiff-necked, humorless, bean counters.  I don't know where or when yarnbombing started, but I do remember a post by Steffe last year, which raises the possibility this activity started in Sweden!  Visit ABC Wednesday for more takes on Z.  Next week we start again with A.

13 comments:

  1. I love it; zany librarians? Who woulda thought?

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is fun! So much prettier than graffiti. I have to learn this new (American?) word yarnbombing.

    Jerusalem has something zany which might qualify. What do you think?
    http://jerusalemhillsdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2008/06/knitting-peace.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And it would be perfect zaniness for winter here in the north country.
    HelenMac
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's what this is called! Recently on my trip to Seattle I saw trees in Pioneer Square, which were wearing sweaters....but I guess they had been yarnbombed. Love your 'zany', and know you saw mine! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun prank! So much better (and cleaner) than TPing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great "Z" post and I actually think yarnbombing is kind of cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so dang cool. I've never heard of yarnbombing...but it's great. What creativity!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, once again I am left feeling like I occupy a different planet from the rest of you folks. I have never heard of yarnbombing or seen anything like it. It is kind of nice, though, and far less damaging than graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so glad you caught it, I love what she is doing, so fun, so whimsical. Glad to see people capture the fun and share it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great colourful photo. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous shot, fabulous concept. Beats the hell out of graffiti. When the yarnbomb starts to unravel, it's easy to remove. Why anyone would get uptight about this beats me (although I suppose the same arguments used against graffiti could be used.) Zany, indeed.

    ReplyDelete